This October, the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) will feature a special strand “Bridging Elementary and Secondary Science and the Common Core” at our Conference on Science Education in Portland, OR, October 24-26, 2013. Adopted by most states, the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) must be supported by all content areas, and NSTA recognizes how important this is. Science is a valuable tool for moving forward with Common Core instruction. Science requires the use of strong communication and mathematical skills and will help students improve within these areas. This strand will increase participants’ understanding and ability to link science with the CCSS.
- Tsunami in a Box
- College Ready with Mathematics and Physics
- The Pictures Aren’t There Just to Take Up Space—Getting Kids Good at Reading in Science
- What! We Have to Teach English, Too?
- Bridging Elementary Science for English Learners
- Energy Debates Can Fuel the Common Core!
- What Does Science Have to Do with Math? Interdisciplinary Team Teaching FUN!
- Authentic Writing with Children’s Books: Learning Science from Mr. Fluffy Mittens!
Want more? Check out more than 400 sessions and other events with the Portland Session Browser/Personal Scheduler at http://www.nsta.org/conferences/2013por/.