Choosing resources for early childhood science learning that are scientifically accurate, developmentally appropriate, and reference research about learning, requires educators to have time to review resources ourselves, or access to reviews by experienced early childhood educators. The Early Childhood Resource Review column in Science and Children is a source you can trust to locate such resources. These columns review books and other resources and are written by various experienced educators. They are available in the print and digital versions of Science and Children. Take a look at these titles and search your print library or the digital access portal for the issues listed. This is a resource for NSTA members. If you are not yet a member, take a look at the Early Childhood and Elementary Forums in the NSTA Learning Center (free to all with registration) for resource recommendations.
Date of column, Author of column, title or name of resource(s), Publisher, Date.
- ECRR February 2014, 51(6): 28-29. Ingrid Chalufour. Constructivism Across the Curriculum in Early Childhood Classrooms: Big Ideas as Inspiration. Pearson Allyn and Bacon. 2008.
- ECRR April/May 2014. 51(8): 26-27. Peggy Ashbrook. Starting With Science. Marcia Talhelm Edson. Stenhouse. 2013.
- ECRR December 2014.52(4): 16-17. Beth Dykstra Van Meeteren. Building Structures With Young Children. Ingrid Chalufour, Karen Worth, and EDC. Redleaf Press 2004.
- ECRR February 2015, 52(6): 24-25. Cindy Hoisington and Jeff Winokur. Tools of Science Inquiry That Support Life Science Investigations.
- ECRR April/May 2015, 52(8): 28-29. Jorie Quinn. Connecting Animals and Children in Early Childhood by Patty Born Selly. Redleaf Press 2014.
- ECRR November 2015, 53(3): 24-25. Gail Laubenthal, Gardening with Young Children by Sara Starbuck, Marla Olthof, and Karen Midden. Redleaf Press 2014.
- ECRR January 2016, 53(5): 24-25. Cindy Hoisington and Jeff Winokur. Tools for Physical Science Inquiry.
- ECRR Summer 2016. 53(9): 24-25. Patty Born Selly. Growing Up WILD by Project WILD, Council for Environmental Education 2009.
- ECRR November 2016, 54(3): 30-31. Allison J. Barness. Young Investigators: The Project Approach in the Early Years, 3rd edition by Judy Harris Helm and Lilian Katz. Teachers College Press 2016.
- ECRR February 2017. 54(6): 20-21. Ryan Andrew Nivens. Robot Turtles: the Game for Little Programmers by Dan Shapiro at Thinkfun.
- ECRR Summer 2017. 54(9): 21. Peggy Ashbrook. Creative Block Play: A Comprehensive Guide to Learning Through Building by Rosanne Regan Hansel. Redleaf Press 2016.
- ECRR November 2017. 55(3): 20-21. Julie Petcu. Journey North’s Tulip Test Gardens Project.
Do you have a resource you’d recommend for reviewing for the Early Childhood Resource Review Column? Contact the column editor, Sonia Yoshizawa and make a suggestion! Click here and scroll down to learn more.